Wednesday 18 January 2012

Collecting for the winter

The days are finally starting to warm up here in the mountains and we are looking forward to those long evenings on the deck sipping whatever takes my fancy. But this weather also signals that it is gardening time. This year I feel like we are standing at the starting line, the hooter sounds and we are off, with a very fast commentary behind us.

Now don’t get me wrong I love the garden, but with such short seasons the race is on to grow as much as fast as we can. Then turn all that lovely produce into preserved wonders for the coming winter months a little like squirrels and nuts you might say...

image courtesy of Sonic wu

Self sustainability is one of the reasons for moving to the farm. The idea of creating an environment in which we lived garden to table has been an exciting adventure so far.  I am a mad keen cook, and get so much pleasure from ducking to the garden to see what we have in stock!

This is our strawberry patch. Last year we were having problems with birds so Nick netted a roof and sides to keep them safe and sound. It works a treat resulting in a bumper crop this year with which I'm hoping to have enough to even make Jam. Here's a yummy Strawberry jam to have a go at http://ridgeorganics.blogspot.com/2012/01/homemade-strawberry-jam.html
I grew up giving coleslaw a wide berth! It always looked and tasted like it had come out of a tin. Until one day, a friend of mine brought in a fresh, tasty dish of red cabbage coleslaw. It was delicious! Nothing like I had ever seen or tasted. Now converted, I have planted our first red cabbage patch, you can see the heads just starting to form. Try this out with your red cabbage. http://ridgeorganics.blogspot.com/2012/01/red-cabbage-coleslaw.html

Preserving is close to my heart. I grew up spending hours with my grandmother in the kitchen. Nan is your typical 'farmers wife' of that era, she made everything: butter, cream, jams and preserved everything from her garden peaches, to nectarines and quinces. Waste not want not! I was fortunate enough that Nan gave me her 'fowler' jars and preserving tools so that I could take over the tradition. I must say it is harder than I thought and there have been many failures. Luckily the chook's will eat anything! This year we have loads of carrots and have decided to try and preserve some in mustard seeds, which we thought would be great for winter curries and casseroles. They look good, but the taste is in the pudding, so only time will tell.

Early season taste, will keep you posted on how we get on.



No comments:

Post a Comment