Thursday 8 December 2011

A few tips to reduce your Christmas footprint...

Well it’s that time of year again, Christmas cards, paper and all that packaging. I was considering that this year we would try and have a wrapping/packaging free Christmas. However when I really started thinking about ways to reduce it, it is much harder than I had imagined. Seemingly everything these days, including food (depending on where you get it of course) is packaged up to within an inch of its life.
Despite being tricky to avoid there are a few things that we can all do that will decrease our landfill contribution this season. Send an Ecard instead! If you are anything like me I have many a year written all my cards out to find them still on the bench in January. There are literally hundreds of free card sites you could use: http://www.hallmark.com/online/product/ecards/

 Or if you are desperate to post something, get the kids to help you make your cards. They will be so much more special AND you will fill in an afternoon in the holidays

What about all that wrapping??? Well I love using the children’s artwork from school, you could get them to paint some newspaper or leave it ‘a la natural’ and tie up your parcel with some natural twine for that rustic look! Reuse old paper, and make sure you go easy on the tape so that you can use that paper again.

The other day I saw another great idea, which is what I think I will be leaning towards this year, it is replacing the wrapping paper altogether with reusable bags. Practical, brilliant and something to carry all that loot in at the end of the day!

However, if this all seems a bit far fetched for you, these days we can buy 100% recycled paper and cards for every event. Check these guys out for a start. http://www.earthgreetings.com.au/. There are loads more and you can buy them online: so there’s another thing checked off the list without leaving your front gate.

Jo 



No comments:

Post a Comment